Being a SR in High School is rough

 One thing I have noticed for Sr. High students is that it is rough for them. They have so much on their plate. You have parents who have expectations and then the teachers, coaches, school guidance councilors. It piles up. They expect good grades, you to do well at sports, pick a college, do ACT tests, and the list goes on. As a parent I have been guilty of the expectations thing and then realized it is to much. We ask to much of our kids. Let them be kids. Even us adults didn't know what we wanted to do after high school let alone college if you went to college. Stop putting so much pressure. It is okay to let them fail or make their own choices and decisions. It is okay for them to not go to college. It is okay if they want to choose a trade. It is okay if they want to do a grunt job. Let them have fun. Stop trying to live through your kids. If they don't want to play sports or be in band or whatever extra activity then don't make them. Ask them what they want to do. A lot of these teenagers are overwhelmed. Let them enjoy going to the games if they want to go, going to dances, hang with their friends, have parties, go to prom, and whatever fun stuff they might want to do. Let them enjoy those experiences. Don't make it out like they have to have it all figured out because guess what I'm a 38yr old mom of 2 teenage boys and I don't have it all figured out. Y'all are causing these kids to have SRITIS. What is SRITIS? It is where they are burnt out and overwhelmed. They get to where they don't want to go to school or they might even feel like they want to quit. Some quit school their SR year because sometimes it gets that overwhelming. I quit my SR year of high school because I got overwhelmed. I had lost my mom a few years before that and school was the least of my worries. I regret quitting and went back to get my GED many years later. Stop putting so much pressure on these kids. They should be enjoying their last year of school. Something parents, teachers, coaches, and all faculty need to start doing all year long is asking these kids is how they are doing because some start getting depression, anxiety, and some might even be suicidal because it became to much which is sad but true. They go through things we don't always understand. Just try being there and being as supportive as you can. Some are going through things we don't always see or pay attention to. Special needs children who are a SR it can be even more rough for some of them because some of them feel like are you just going to throw me out into the world. They are more anxious and worried. They worry how will I fit in and who are my real friends. Will I have to work or not? Who will help me? Be kind to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List of all books currently published

Stop giving the negative people attention

Cursed House